[speex-dev] speex over radio and homemade hardware

Matthias Granberry matthias at utdallas.edu
Wed Oct 1 19:27:34 PDT 2003

All I have to say is 'good luck.'  If you only need a few miles range
and you are in a non-commercial setting, amateur radio is probably the
way to go.  Walkie-talkie style communication is probably worth the
money.  I suppose CB or the FRS (cheap wal-mart style) might also be
an option.

If you still want to do it over the data line, speex reports a 2150bd
mode, which is recognizable, but quite poor quality.  I suppose it's
not horrible, but it isn't going to be quite so low-bitrate when you
have IP (or some other) packets encapsulating it.  If it doesn't need
to be real-time or streaming, you might be able to get something
working.  I suppose if you package a few seconds of some low-quality
speex frames, it could be sent near-real-time.  The relaxation of
real-time requirements would let you use the much better-sounding
3950, 5950, and 8kbps modes.  There's also a 4.8kbps mode in the
library that I haven't used.

--
Matthias Granberry
matthias at utdallas.edu