[speex-dev] Server based audio merge

Ulrich B. Staudinger us at die-horde.de
Wed Nov 26 02:06:38 PST 2003

Hi Carsten,

yes, your emails take up my morning, too. :-)

> Hi Ulrich,
>
> > Well, i don't know if we speak of the same ... The quality is ok, but
> > the encoding of a PCM frame on the tested machine took 2ms, which (if
> > the PCM frame is 7ms in length) means the machine can only encode three
> > streams in realtime ...
> Yes, but this is java. You don't use any threading models and i dont
> know if you encode from sound card. I also don't know how optimized the
> code is. In my last company we have improved runtime of digital image
> processing routines from initially 80 seconds to 0.1 seconds. It's
> important to knew, which screw must be adjusted. I want to see this by
> my own. Perhaps you are right and there are not much improvements posible.

I didn't try to enhance the encoding routines, i just took the plain
jspeex version, which came up with these numbers.
First i capture 2560 bytes (i think, would have to look at my source)
direct from the sound card and then i encode it.
I am not the guy to dive into the jspeex code and adjust the right
screws ;-) i just can adjust major code errors and stuff i know to be
slow (like System.arraycopy).

best regards,
ulrich