[speex-dev] replacing ACELP encoding with speex

Jason Radford jasonml at iconimaging.net
Thu Jun 5 23:57:36 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm to hit about aprox the same encoding settings (ie bitrate,filesize,
quality) with talk radio shows that are currently encoded with Real
Producer in 16kbit acelp (maybe cs-acelp).

Currently 2 hours of talk radio encoded in a .rm container yields about
16.3 meg file.  With speex in wideband vbr I'm getting very good quality
results, but with a larger filesize of 19.1 meg.

I'm currently using the command line below in a shell script, $1 is the
time in seconds, and $2 is just the file name specified.:

rawrec -d /dev/dsp -t $1 -s 16000 | speexenc -w --vbr --stereo - $2-$DATE.spx

I'm looking for some recomendations on getting down near or below 16meg
file size and maintaining the current 16k feed.

Thanks,

-Jason