[speex-dev] Psycho Acoustic models i Speech Coding

Tom Backstrom tom.backstrom at hut.fi
Tue Jun 3 02:18:40 PDT 2003

(This is almost out of topic but anyway...)

It is surprising how little research effort have been put into psy-acou
models for CELP. The basic problem lies in that it is not easy to alter
the LP model without distroying the minimum-phase property (ie. the
stability of the predictor). That leaves us with psy-acou modelling of
the noise-part only. However, my own research is in constrained
LP-models that addresses just this problem. Unfortunately, applications
are still at least a couple of years away.

> > Does anyone have an idea about the possibility to apply psychoacoustic
> > models as the ones in mp3 or AAC to a CELP coder? Thanks!
>
> > /Pontus
>
> This is (sort of) done in the decoder with the optional perceptual
> filtering. Speex tries to shape the noise so that it sounds more
> pleasant, I believe.
>
> To really use perceptual coding, one would require fine granular
> control over quantization noise in various spectral bands. Speex
> is not a subband coder and has no such control. But it already does
> a better job than MP3 and other codecs at these bitrates without
> using a PSY model.
>
> Besides those PSY models are mostly FFT based which would greatly
> increase the encoder complity. We don't really want that. Do we ;)
>
> Christian

Tom Bäckström
Helsinki University of Technology,
Laboratory of Acoustics and Audio Signal Processing
email: Tom.Backstrom at hut.fi
http://www.acoustics.hut.fi/~tbackstr/
phone: +358-9-451 5843 (office), +358-50-341 3841 (mobile)