[speex-dev] Is there a version of Speex like Fraunhofer MP3 codec?

Ben x-files at qx.net
Wed Feb 26 22:03:44 PST 2003

Hi! I just stumbled onto your project (Speex) and it seems perfect for
archiving a radio show I record every night. The thing is, I would like to
encode in real-time, rather than having to record the wav and then use the
speex encoder to encode it. The radio show runs 5 hours, so a PCM wav would
be big to store first and then process with speex (not bad though, except
the machine only has a 2GB harddrive).
Currently I am archiving my radio show using the Fraunhofer MP3 codec with
some software
called AudioGrabber. I just have Audiograbber to record from the line-in on
my soundcard. I set it to use Fraunhofer to record directly as MP3 mono,
16kbps, 11kHz. I believe speex could produce better quality/smaller file
size. The problem I have is not being able to choose the speex codec in
Audiograbber instead of Fraunhofer MP3. Just wondering if there's a way to
make speex a selectable encoding codec. I'd like to use speex in real-time
to record/encode the radio show as it airs. Anything you could tell me
about this sort of functionality with speex would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben