[speex-dev] Confusion over xiph.org license

Tyler Knott vault-responce at charter.net
Tue Aug 19 17:10:19 PDT 2003

I'm no expert but I think I know how this would work.

>Under the Xiph.org license, it states:
>"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the
>above copyright notice, this list of conditions and
>the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
>other materials provided with the distribution."
>
>Does my use of Speex qualify as "redistribution in
>binary form"?

Yes.

>The reason I ask is because I do NOT
>want to include "Redistribution and use in source and
>binary forms, with or without modification, are
>permitted" in my license/documentation because my
>program does NOT allow modification and in some cases
>does NOT allow redistribution (the post-paying version
>of the shareware).

You don't have to put that in.  You just need to put in the copyright
notice.  That phrase of the Xiph.org license just means that you have
permission to use/redistribute the Xiph.org implimentation of Speex(in
binary and/or source form) without any restrictions.

>I do not mind putting "© 2002-2003,
>Jean-Marc Valin/Xiph.Org Foundation" in my docs as
>credit to Xiph.org, so can someone clarify exactly
>what my obligations would be with my situation?

Be sure you specify that it is Speex that has that copyright and not the
main program.  If you'd like to know more about open-source licenses(and
open-source in general) then I'd reccomend looking at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html or
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tron/opensource/