[speex-dev] Decoding .spx with 1.0 on ppc produces noise!

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Wed Apr 16 16:44:59 PDT 2003

> > Well, wav's are considered little endian but for raw files, there's a
> > command-like switch to specify either little-endian or big-endian (--le
> > and --be).
>
> 	so if somone is streaming a speex encoded file to me, how
> do I work out if its a bigendian or a little endia stream before
> I begin decoding ... Is there something in the speex header? ( I
> couldn't see it) or would this be communicated to the decoder end
> in say the Ogg header used to wrap speex in?

No, the --be and --le are encoder switches that apply when the encoder
input is raw PCM. A Speex file is "endian independent" and should decode
on all platforms. In this case there's a problem with decoding on PPC
which is probably a bug in speexdec.

Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A.
LABORIUS (http://www.gel.usherb.ca/laborius)