[speex-dev] No Static Payload Type

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Fri Nov 22 14:54:42 PST 2002

> On a separate note, what are the odds of getting this as an ITU standard
> codec (G.XXX).  I wonder if soliciting support from vendors like Cisco,
> Lucent, and especially the hundreds of small vendors, etc. would help
> since presumably they all would stand to benefit from an unencumbered
> codec.

Yes, that would be wonderful.  Perhaps the talks underway with
the ITU related to H.323 could lead to that.  I've been promoting
this idea on Jeff Pulver's Free World Dialup mailing list for the
last week.

If we can figure out how to do this, we should.  We would almost
certainly need big vendor support.  I have written Cullen
Jennings at Cisco (formerly with Vovida) to see if he can provide
some ideas on who/what/where to proceed with that notion.  He's a
co-chair) I think on the SIP working group at the IETF so perhaps
he'll know who can facilitate this.

Greg