[speex-dev] No Static Payload Type

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Fri Nov 22 08:45:51 PST 2002

We asked Henning Schulzrinne (the author of RTP and currently the
RTP/AVG maintainer) about getting a static RTP payload type code
assigned for Speex, since we meet the criteria in rfc1890.  He
said no.  Here is his answer:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> Sorry, this is not going to happen, regardless of the codec or its
> merit. See the new  draft which will replace RFC 1890
> (draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-11). This policy has been in effect for
> several years now.
>
> Basically, no additional static payload types will be assigned. To quote
> from the draft draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-11:
>
>     This specification establishes the policy that no additional static
>     payload types will be assigned beyond the ones defined in this
>     document. Establishing this policy avoids the problem of trying to
>     create a set of criteria for accepting static assignments and
>     encourages the implementation and deployment of the dynamic payload
>     type mechanisms.
>
> The draft goes into more detail as to why this decision was taken.

they said no.  So, we have to continue to define the out-of-band
means to agree upon a codec, as we have been doing.

There are discussions happening with the ITU (spearheaded by
Roger Hardiman and the folks at Equivalence, who do the OpenH323
Project) regarding an agreed upon means in ITU-T recommendations
H.323/H.245 to negotiate payload mappings.  Roger has asked that
we wait to update our draft profile until we get some answers
back from the ITU.  This is expected next week (though with the
Thanksgiving holidays next week, I am not holding my breath!).

I won't be updating the draft next week regardless of the ITU
reply due to being on holiday myself.  I personally hope that by
Christmas, however, we will have a draft that is ready for final
call in our community and for submission to the IETF for
adoption.

That's the status.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to
write me on the list or off the list.

Greg