[Paranoia] New User Question

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Dec 3 15:11:47 PST 2014

> Whyever, I can't really rip these CDDAs, not with audex, not with a dolphin copy and paste and unfortunately also not
> with cdparanoia, which I tried at last. All of the above "hangs" at some tracks.

Right; by default it will only accept a perfectly reproducible read.
You can turn that off, BTW, however there might still be issues with
the kernel endlessly retrying read attempts when the drive itself
reports errors.

You can in fact often buff out scratches from the play surface.
Polish from hub to rim.  Plastic 'scratch-removal' fluids and a cotton
cloth work pretty well.

There's also a product called a 'CD Doctor' that's a little automated
buffing machine that does the same.  It actually works.

Monty