[Paranoia] Ripping physically scratched CD's

Michael_OF michaelof at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 4 20:30:09 PST 2014

Hi Monti, Carter and "grarpamp",

thank you very much for your kind answers and hints for my request.

I agree to all of you that repairing the CDDAs or at least trying to repair would for sure guarantee the best possible
ripping results.

But my question was more on the software side, not "hardware". I've tried to understand why a rip WITH error correction
etc. hangs, and a playback with "kscd" not, "playing" the scratches, but not disturbing.

So in fact Monty's hint "you can turn that off" was my solution, "cdparanoia -vZB". Much faster than a pure playback, as
drive's full speed is used. And all files are playable on my MP3 player.

Remark: All of these CDDAs are audio books, no music, so the result is completely sufficient for me.
Just in case some music enthusiasts in the mailing list might shudder about my quality "expectations" :-)

So thanks again,
Michael