[Paranoia] Progressively worse ripping.

cdparanoia at donny.plus.com cdparanoia at donny.plus.com
Wed Dec 20 02:08:13 PST 2006

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> cdparanoia at donny.plus.com wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've recently started to use cdparanoia but have come across a problem
>> that I _think_ might be down to having a crap cd-rom drive.
>>
>> My machine was originally built as a fileserver with a very cheap
>> cd-rom really just to put the gentoo installer CD in to. I've now
>> decided to rip all my CDs, and have had some success.
>>
>> The problem is that the later tracks on most CDs get a lot of pluses
>> in the progress bar and some Vs. In fact, with the -z option, one CD
>> was left overnight and never finished. I've had to resort to using -Z
>> for problem tracks, which are usually the last few on most disks.
>>
>> Originally I had problems which, when I read the troubleshooting
>> guide, alerted me to the fact that /var/log/messages was 3.5Gb! I
>> recompiled the kernel with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y, which got rid of those
>> messages, but the problem did not improve.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do with cdparanoia or the kernel to improve
>> this, or would I be better off buying a new CD drive?
>

> Staples, OfficeMax, NewEgg.Com, etc all have CD drives on sale for <$30
> if you wait for a sale. That's CD writers, not just readers. Actually,
> that's DVD burners, just checked newegg... Oh, those are Dual-Layer DVD
> burners, checked the specs. Very hard to justify not upgrading,
> particularly if the lack of a proper burner is keeping you from doing
> backups :-(

Thanks for the input there Bill, but I suppose what I am really asking is
whether buying a new drive will solve the problem.

I have to admit I know nothing about cd-rom drives, and they are all so cheap
these days; how does one distinguish the good quality ones from the bad?

A couple of other points:
1) I'm in the UK, so these good deals you mention are probably not worth the
shipping fee :)
2) I don't have a cd burner, I backup to tape.

Cheers,
Duncan