[Paranoia] Progressively worse ripping.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Dec 19 20:54:05 PST 2006

cdparanoia at donny.plus.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've recently started to use cdparanoia but have come across a problem
> that I _think_ might be down to having a crap cd-rom drive.
>
> My machine was originally built as a fileserver with a very cheap
> cd-rom really just to put the gentoo installer CD in to. I've now
> decided to rip all my CDs, and have had some success.
>
> The problem is that the later tracks on most CDs get a lot of pluses
> in the progress bar and some Vs. In fact, with the -z option, one CD
> was left overnight and never finished. I've had to resort to using -Z
> for problem tracks, which are usually the last few on most disks.
>
> Originally I had problems which, when I read the troubleshooting
> guide, alerted me to the fact that /var/log/messages was 3.5Gb! I
> recompiled the kernel with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y, which got rid of those
> messages, but the problem did not improve.
>
> Is there anything I can do with cdparanoia or the kernel to improve
> this, or would I be better off buying a new CD drive?

Staples, OfficeMax, NewEgg.Com, etc all have CD drives on sale for <$30
if you wait for a sale. That's CD writers, not just readers. Actually,
that's DVD burners, just checked newegg... Oh, those are Dual-Layer DVD
burners, checked the specs. Very hard to justify not upgrading,
particularly if the lack of a proper burner is keeping you from doing
backups :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc