[Paranoia] Progressively worse ripping.

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Dec 20 10:06:35 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, cdparanoia at donny.plus.com <cdparanoia at donny.plus.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input there Bill, but I suppose what I am really asking is
> whether buying a new drive will solve the problem.

Yes.  Having trouble near end-of-disc is a common enough problem in
dodgy/failing drives.

> I have to admit I know nothing about cd-rom drives, and they are all so cheap
> these days; how does one distinguish the good quality ones from the bad?

Unfortunately, that's quite difficult-- a local vendor with a return
policy may well be the only safe advice.

In your favor, most CDROM drives are pretty good these days; things
have improved immensely across the board since the old days when
cdparanoia began.

Monty