[Paranoia] Progressively worse ripping.

cdparanoia at donny.plus.com cdparanoia at donny.plus.com
Tue Dec 19 07:51:33 PST 2006

Hi there,

I've recently started to use cdparanoia but have come across a problem that I
_think_ might be down to having a crap cd-rom drive.

My machine was originally built as a fileserver with a very cheap cd-rom really
just to put the gentoo installer CD in to. I've now decided to rip all my CDs,
and have had some success.

The problem is that the later tracks on most CDs get a lot of pluses in the
progress bar and some Vs. In fact, with the -z option, one CD was left overnight
and never finished. I've had to resort to using -Z for problem tracks, which are
usually the last few on most disks.

Originally I had problems which, when I read the troubleshooting guide, alerted
me to the fact that /var/log/messages was 3.5Gb! I recompiled the kernel with
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y, which got rid of those messages, but the problem did not
improve.

Is there anything I can do with cdparanoia or the kernel to improve this, or
would I be better off buying a new CD drive?

Thanks,
Duncan

# cdparanoia --version
cdparanoia III release 10pre0 (August 29, 2006)
(C) 2006 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiph.Org