[Paranoia] Cdparanoia stuck in blk_execute_rq

pjones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 14:58:26 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 14:39 -0800, David Wake wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My cdparanoia is cdparanoia-alpha9.8-24.  This error has happened
> several times, sometimes with CDs that don't appear to be scratched at
> all and play fine (I'm in the processing of ripping my CD collection
> to FLAC files).

So do you also get rips which complete?  If so, do they all complete
fine, are there sometimes minor errors on the status bar, or are there
always errors on the status bar?

Have you listened to the rips for any of the above three cases?  Do they
all sound right?

> Please let me know if I can provide any further diagnostic data that
> could be helpful.
>
> I also have a CD-RW drive that I could use instead -- I may try that
> and see if I get the same errors.

It's certainly worth a try.

What I'm worried about is this: I know there was a dma bug that's never
been identified in the kernel just before we shipped; I couldn't
reproduce the problem with the kernel you've got (or I've got), but I've
seen it before, and it will cause cdparanoia to think it's getting bad
reads and try to do progressively smaller ones until things go very
seriously wrong.

That's why that version tries to use 24 sectors instead of the 55 it
theoretically should be able to use; it might also be worth making a
test build where that number is smaller.

--
        Peter

"Obviously, a major malfunction has occurred."
                -- Steve Nesbitt, voice of Mission Control, January 28,
                   1986, as the shuttle Challenger exploded within view
                   of the grandstands.