[Paranoia] Cdparanoia stuck in blk_execute_rq

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 14:06:52 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 07:26 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, David Wake wrote:
>
> > I'm running Fedora Core 3 with kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp.  Whenever I'm
> > running cdparanoia to rip a CD track, and there's a problem, the
> > cdparanoia process goes into an uninterruptible sleep.  "ps" shows
> > that it's stuck in blk_execute_rq.  So far I have
> > only managed to kill the process by restarting my machine.
>
> Looking at your output, I think you have hardware problems and you are
> getting errors on hda, which is likely to be your boot disk rather then
> the CD.

No, the hardware error is a red herring; we do a device reset, and then
some other code (or even cdparanoia trying to find out if the drive is
back yet) sends a command which fails and the kernel logs it as an
error.

> If you are still running ide-scsi, you probably don't want to do that. And
> running as root may be required, since the 2.6 kernel has SCSI command
> filtering and doesn't have it right yet, at least to my taste.

ide-scsi is definitely not the way with FC3.  As for the scsi command
filtering, it shouldn't be required to run as root.  In some cases
cdparanoia will try to do a mode select which will fail, but if that
doesn't work it'll fall back to other read commands and with all drives
I've ever seen they'll work fine.

--
        Peter