[Paranoia] copy protection

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Tue Jan 18 08:18:44 PST 2005

I have some disks which I cannot rip.
This is a new experience for me.

xmms seems to be able to play them.

I am running 2.6 kernel, and using the IDE-ATAPI device.

Will it help me to go to SCSI-generic emulation on
the 2.6 kernel?  (I thought 2.6 improved IDE, so that
was not necessary)
Do I really have to remove IDE-ATAPI from 2.6 kernel
to get this to work? (Can I just load a SCSI-generic module
and use /dev/sg2?)

I'm shocked that I'm not seeing more traffic about this
copy protection.  Googling "copy protection" cdparanoia, I mostly
get pages claiming that cdparanoia is robust to copy protection.

This is a bit off topic... but I have an ICE1712 card
(Audiophile2496), and I was trying to record the digital
audio from the player... without sucess.
I would think that if I can play it, the ICE1712 should
be able to record a tee of that audio stream....

          aaron