[Paranoia] copy protection

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 14:14:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:18 -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
> I have some disks which I cannot rip.
> This is a new experience for me.

What CDs?  And how do they fail to rip?  What does cdparanoia say?

> xmms seems to be able to play them.
>
> I am running 2.6 kernel, and using the IDE-ATAPI device.
>
> Will it help me to go to SCSI-generic emulation on
> the 2.6 kernel?  (I thought 2.6 improved IDE, so that
> was not necessary)
> Do I really have to remove IDE-ATAPI from 2.6 kernel
> to get this to work? (Can I just load a SCSI-generic module
> and use /dev/sg2?)

At the moment, it unfortunately depends on where you got cdparanoia.  If
you're using my packages from Fedora Core 3, then you should be able to
have /dev/cdrom be a symlink to /dev/hdc (or whichever device is your cd
drive) and it will Just Work.

Unfortunately, I haven't merged that code into the svn repo for
cdparanoia yet, or done a release with it, so I don't think other
distros are using that yet.

In general, sg and ide-scsi are the way of the past, and need to be done
away with in a very serious way.

> I'm shocked that I'm not seeing more traffic about this
> copy protection.  Googling "copy protection" cdparanoia, I mostly
> get pages claiming that cdparanoia is robust to copy protection.

It's possible that copy protection isn't the problem; I won't know at
all until I see the output from cdparanoia.  Even then, I still might
not.  I've never actually seen a copy protected CD.

--
        Peter