[Paranoia] First-track ripping oddity

Peter Jones pjones
Tue Jun 29 07:55:03 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 11:13 -0500, CJ Kucera wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> I'm running cdparanoia 9.8, and it seems to have some issues with the
> very beginning of the first track on basically every CD it tries to rip.
> Basically, in the first second or so, I get a somewhat loud audible
> "pop," and then the rest of the track is fine.  Subsequent tracks from
> the CD will rip without problems as well, and most oddly, cdparanoia
> doesn't report any problems with that section of the track.  Something
> similar is mentioned in the FAQ as being the product of drive limitations
> or disc problems, but this problem happens on virtually every disc I
> try, and the program cdda2wav doesn't seem to have any problems with
> that track (ie, the first track ripped with cdda2wav always comes out
> without that popping).

It's interesting that cdda2wav doesn't give the error.  Is the pop
overlapping real data, or is it simply before it?

> I could, of course, just use cdda2wav for that, but having cdparanoia's
> error correction is very nice to have, even though it doesn't seem
> to catch this problem.  The drive, by the way, identifies itself as
> a "Compaq CRD-8322B" in its /proc/ide/hdd/model entry, and an
> "ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA" when it gets noticed
> by the kernel (in dmesg).

I don't suppose you can pull the drive out and see if there's any real
manufacturer information on it?

This vaguely sounds like the sort of thing --toc-bias was invented for,
but I'm not completely sure just yet.
--
Peter, the newly appointed maintainer...