[Paranoia] First-track ripping oddity

CJ Kucera xiph
Mon Jun 28 09:13:11 PDT 2004

Hello, list.

I'm running cdparanoia 9.8, and it seems to have some issues with the
very beginning of the first track on basically every CD it tries to rip.
Basically, in the first second or so, I get a somewhat loud audible
"pop," and then the rest of the track is fine.  Subsequent tracks from
the CD will rip without problems as well, and most oddly, cdparanoia
doesn't report any problems with that section of the track.  Something
similar is mentioned in the FAQ as being the product of drive limitations
or disc problems, but this problem happens on virtually every disc I
try, and the program cdda2wav doesn't seem to have any problems with
that track (ie, the first track ripped with cdda2wav always comes out
without that popping).

I could, of course, just use cdda2wav for that, but having cdparanoia's
error correction is very nice to have, even though it doesn't seem
to catch this problem.  The drive, by the way, identifies itself as
a "Compaq CRD-8322B" in its /proc/ide/hdd/model entry, and an
"ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA" when it gets noticed
by the kernel (in dmesg).

Thanks for any help!

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,