[paranoia] cdparanoia wish list: I'm doing some development

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Fri Jan 16 07:36:46 PST 2004

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'm going to do some development
on the cdparanoia application.

I've been using cdparanoia for about a year now, with varying success.
Occasionally it will rip CDs correctly, but frequently I get scsi bus
errors and a hung rip session.  I've had about enough of those problems,
so I am going to attempt a fix *IN MY SPARE TIME*.

The other thing that I may look at is redesigning cdparanoia so that it
doesn't use the SCSI interface.  Linus, during the 2.6 kernel
development efforts, has said that SCSI emulation of ATAPI devices isn't
the best way to access such devices, nor may it be supported in version
2.6.  I'll dig into this issue.

I'm wondering if anyone out there would like to help me with this
undertaking as well as if there are any other things that need to be
addressed while I'm working on CDParanoia.

Thanks.

--
Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com>