[paranoia] Improvement of extraction on ATAPI CDROM's

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at netcologne.de
Sat Jan 10 13:45:26 PST 2004

Alex (avolkov79 at mail.ru) wrote 58 lines:

> I started to use this wonderful program. I'm interesting
> to know what should be done to reach the best extraction
> performace?

1. a CD-ROM drive with good audio extraction capabilities
2. a CD without scratches or play protection (aka 'copy
   protection).

> I replaced Atapi's driver to IDE-SCSI hostadapter
> emulation and the performance improved by about 30%.

So, how fast *are* you ripping?

> Does is matter to which IDE
> slot the CDROM connected?

Not really, unless you have another device on the same cable
and are using it much.

> What is a "normal" performance of
> extraction audio disks with paranoia?

Somewhere from about 1x (like my audio-lousy CD-ROM drive) to 8x
and more for good ones, I hear tell.

-Wolfgang