[paranoia] Bug, and a suggestion

erik erik98 at sunflower.com
Wed Jun 4 21:25:19 PDT 2003

Greetings,
    First, I just wanted to say that I really like your CDParanoia program.
now, for the Bug:
    Sometimes, things will get messed up to the point that CDParanoia will start
asking for non-existant sectors from the driver, causing a "Command rejected by
Target". CDParanoia fails to notice that it is speaking gibberish to the drive
(there is no sector "-1", etc.), and keeps retrying the same (invalid) command
in an infinite loop (reguardless of -z=5,-X, etc.). It probably should treat
that SCSI error as a "Skip", and thus break itself out of the infinite loop.
   And finally, an output sugestion: It would be nice if you had a more compact
progress output option, which could be logged, and be able to suppress the
(extraneous) SCSI errors. Given the number of CDs in my library, I would prefer
that the "progress" output be limited to one line per track, and not state the
output filename. All I really care about is the how each track looked like in a
general sense, and fitting it all onto one console page would be nice. If you
were to simply replace the word "PROGRESS" with "Track ###", and supress all
other output (possibly including errors), it would be almost perfect. Perfection
would be to optionally copy the final "progress" line for a given track to a log
file. That way, as my scripts tear through my CD disc changer, I get to see
what's going on in a single glance (that has not run off the screen) and/or be
able to review what happened while I was sleeping.

    It is unclear to me when (if ever) you are planning to resume working on
CDParanoia, as the odd-vorbis stuff is quite a time consuming project I hear. If
you think that it will be more than 6 months, please let me know and will think
about making a patch against the public CVS tree for your consideration.
(Learning another person's code has a significant startup time cost, and I would
hate to pay it and make the patch, only to find that you have already fixed
things or have moved on from version 9.8)

Sincerely,
   - Erik Lindsley