[paranoia] extracting no-audio tracks [Extended info]

txemi txemi2 at euskalnet.net
Fri Jul 25 02:50:33 PDT 2003

First of all, thank you for your quick answers.

I will now describe better the problem I found:

While looking for backup systems on cd/dvd I found some
of them that used the cd as a tape, without making iso
filesystems for data, similar to tape backup systems.
An example of that is cdbackup available in debian sid.
What this tools do is creating one new track for each
full/incremental backup. I think the content of these
tracks is one tar file itself with some extra information
at the beginning for the backup program.

As I do not like rare or non-standar behaviours I wanted to
test if I was able to extract my backups myself with other
tools. There I find paranoia claimed to be the best extraction
tool.

What I wanted was next:
- Being able to list all tracks in a cd/dvd in spite of not being
iso or audio tracks.
- Being able to extract some of this tracks.

In think this is easy to do in Windows world (nero...) but i did not
suceed to do it in linux. I was not able to extract this rare
tracks with cdda2wav, readcd, paranoia... Grip achieved to list
this tracks but was not able to extract them. So I supposed
that it was becouse of sanity checkings failing to recongnize
audio data and perhaps was possible to extract them using paranoia
library directly.

Thanks for your attention,
txemi.

--