[paranoia] DMA problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 15 05:31:07 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Steve Smith wrote:

> I have similar problems. My system 1Ghz Athlon MSI K7T266. When running
> cdparanoia open another xterm and run dmesg. Look for missing interrupts
> or buffer over runs thats is what I see. I have a good experience with
> the 2.4.21 kernel. Using 2.4.21 and with ide-scsi emulation on both of
> my CD roms I can use cdparanoia on the 48X CD rom with out any
> problems.  My 52X CD-RW still fails with missing interrupts.
> It is interesting to see that other than ripping CD(s) the CDroms work
> perfectly on my system. The problems never occur with Win2K.

I don't think "I don't see problems" and "I don't have problems" are quite
the same thing, and unfortunately that's been an issue with all Windows
flavors. The lost interrupts may be a configuration issue, shared irq,
using softirq, etc.

I don't know what Win is doing, but ignoring interrupts completely and
polling status is not out of the question. Do you have DMA set on the
drives?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc