[paranoia] SCSI CD Problems - a workaround solution

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Thu Feb 13 10:08:25 PST 2003

Thus spake Jack Pistachio on Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:52:35AM CST
> Sounds like you didn't have the generic scsi device nodes
> setup.  Create these using mknod (major=21, minor=X where X
> is sgX).
> bash$ mknod sgX c 21 X
> In your case, you need sg0 to use scd0.  CDParanoia works
> fine with scsi emulation, in fact it suggests it.  scsi
> emulation is also required for CD burning.  The reason most
> programs will work with the setup you had before is they
> don't use the generic device, while CDParanoia makes quite
> a bit of use with it.

OK, thanks.  I'll give this a shot.  I really ought to be running devfs on
the box, as I am on others I run, but have been too lazy/busy to set it up.
Devfs would take care of this if I put the sg module in /etc/modules, and if
it's really the issue then I'll probably take the time to set things up
better.  I solved the immediate problem by referencing the drive as an IDE
rather than a SCSI device, so I could get my customer's work done, but if
this turns out to be a proper fix then I'll use it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at