[paranoia] Paranoia over a network?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Aug 20 09:29:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, TJ wrote:

> Hypothetically:  I have two Linux boxen, Star and Planet. Planet is a
> terminal at my desk with a CD-ROM. Star is a server in the closet. Is it
> possible to "share" low level access to Planet's CD-ROM to Star so that
> I could run paranoia as a binary on Star using Planet's drive?
>
> I am thinking that this may be possible by sharing /dev/cdrom via NFS,
> or does this permit low-level access over a network?

You can do this type of thing with the "rscsi" package included in
cdrecord, if you have SCSI devices. I don't know if you can do it using
ide-scsi, I don't know if paranoia would use it in any case.

If I had the time, hardware, and problem, I would look at the network
block device, which allows a file on one system to be treated as a device
on another. Again, I have no idea if this would help, I would look at it
to see if partitions and devices really work.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc