[paranoia] cddb: i'd like to add that feature...

Mikko Nummelin mnummeli at cc.hut.fi
Thu Apr 24 00:06:15 PDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Apr 2003, Kim Lux wrote:

> I wish that cdparanoia would access the cddb and get the title of all
> the songs it rips.  I've got a ton of directories with track1, track2...
> in them.  I need a utility to convert the trackX filenames to the song
> titles.  Better yet would be if cdparanoia did it for me when it ripped
> the tracks.

There are other tools using cdparanoia as a tool for ripping, but who
separately query the cddb. One example is grip

http://nostatic.org/grip/

I think that cdparanoia should itself have the basic functionality to do
the ripping itself in a flexible and robust manner. In fact, when anyhow
using CDDB, be aware that some of the data it provides is false. For
example I remember cases where track names were in wrong order (ABBA's
More Abba Gold) or referred to an entirely different record (Rolling
Stones' Aftermath UK version). It might be that CDDB now recognizes those
disks right but there might be plenty of other examples of CDDB
malfunction because of initially wrong data provided into their database.

A very good habit is to change the names track??.wav _immediately_ to more
descriprive ones like this:

$ mv track02.wav 02_Nights_In_White_Satin.wav

$ mv track05.wav 05_She_Loves_You.wav

etc. The numbers in front is a convention I use, because that has at least
two advantages: (1) easier to burn those in intended order to a bland CD
with cdrecord, (2) when converted to mp3 or ogg (titles being the same
with .wav replaced by .ogg or .mp3), a playlist can be
formed very simply with a command like

$ ls *.ogg > The_Greatest_Hits_Album.m3u

following the same pre-intended order.

> I'm wondering how cdparanoia will work with kernel 2.6 when it comes
> out.  I suspect a few changes are going to be needed.

Try it out with latest kernels in 2.5 series, that will perhaps give some
pre-information if such things are needed. They have tried to keep some
standards in CD-reading and writing functions for a long time. Take a look
at cdrom.c and cdrom.h in the kernel source for example. You see that they
haven't changed a lot from even late 2.1 series ...