[paranoia] cddb: i'd like to add that feature...

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 28 13:35:57 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Mikko Nummelin wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2003, Kim Lux wrote:

> > I'm wondering how cdparanoia will work with kernel 2.6 when it comes
> > out.  I suspect a few changes are going to be needed.
>
> Try it out with latest kernels in 2.5 series, that will perhaps give some
> pre-information if such things are needed. They have tried to keep some
> standards in CD-reading and writing functions for a long time. Take a look
> at cdrom.c and cdrom.h in the kernel source for example. You see that they
> haven't changed a lot from even late 2.1 series ...

It may work fine, I haven't had the inclination to try it. But be aware
that there is a new feature to use ATAPI devices with the SCSI command set
directly, not using ide-scsi, which *may* provide some more or better
access than the standard interface. There was a patch to cdrecord to use
that interface, I believe it's in the latest releases.

Note that I don't know if this will give better access, or even if such is
needed.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc