[paranoia] fade-out feature? I would pay to have it.

Chris McCraw fool at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 23 18:45:05 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 04:01:06PM -0700, Derek at CD Baby wrote:
> Since we use cdda2wav and libparanoia to do all our audio-ripping here,
> usually as 120-second clips, I could really use a "fade-out" feature
> for the last 1-2 seconds of the WAV file.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do it already, *OR*, if someone
> could ADD that feature to the source code, I'd be glad to pay for it.
>
> (Contact me here by replying to this email, if you are up for it.)

i don't think that you need to pay someone to do it;  this sounds like
something that already available tools will do and not anything related
to cdparanoia (changing the audio you've just gone to some effort to get
perfect?  blasphemy! =)).

i'm thinking specifically of sox(1) which allows you to modulate the volume,
but to really fade, you'll probably have to chop up the wav into the
main piece, and about 12 1/4th second bits at the end and then soxify
those last bits with decreasing volume, and then string it back together.
maybe you do need a programmer after all, it just shouldn't be a massive
effort.

luck++;