AW: [paranoia] noise in wav files

Winter Christopher christopher.winter at siemens.com
Mon Nov 18 02:30:17 PST 2002

Hello Tim,

your guess was - IMHO - quite right. You may have noticed
the effects of dithering, which is used to improve the poor
small signal behavior of A/D-conversion. If this is the case,
it is also clear, that different drives behave different.

There is a very good introduction to those topics concerning
the CD-Audio technology, written by Grant M. Erickson,
Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of
Minnesota, which covers this and other topics. Paper #3011.
Search for "EE 3011" to get the file via any good search-engine
(I tried Google).

Regards,

Christopher