[paranoia] noise in wav files

Tim Whitehead tmwhitehead at wisc.edu
Sat Nov 16 22:37:03 PST 2002

Recently I noticed that at the beginning and end of songs have some
white (or close to white) noise. It may be in general that it happens
for silence in the album, but is most noticable at the extremes of the
songs.

I believe something somewhere is trying to compensate for what should be
zero amplitude. I don't believe it to be hardware, because I tried a
different drive. The first drive is a TDK burner (w/ ide-scsi) the other
is an Aceex 32x (ide-cd). The second drive might have been a bit better,
but the static was still there.

OS: Linux kernel 2.4.19 on a AMD Athlon, Asus board.

I once thought that it might have been compile time options, but have
not conclusively tested this.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

tw