[paranoia] can't find cdrom drive

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Wed Jun 12 16:37:51 PDT 2002

Torben Andersen (the.beauty at get2net.dk) wrote:

> But I discovered coincidently, when using root, it works :-) :-) I know,
> that it might be beyond the topic of this list, but does anybody know,
> how to make it work as normal user. I assume, that some permissions has
> to be set, but I don't know which.

You need to have read and write permissions on the generic device
(/dev/sg0 or whatever).  The "best" way to do this is to change the
device's group to "cdrom", add yourself to the "cdrom" group, and then
chmod 660 the device.

(At least, Debian already has a "cdrom" group.  If your distribution
doesn't have a group by that name, make it yourself, or use another
group.)

Don't forget to logout and back in after adding yourself to the group.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |