[paranoia] dae speed on plextor cdrw

Chad Carr ccarr at franzdoodle.com
Thu Feb 14 06:36:08 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:34:40AM +0200, Sami Farin wrote:
> Linux uses PIO when reading cdda audio (ATAPI)...
> You might want to try this patch:
> http://www.zip.com.au/%7Eakpm/linux/2.4/2.4.18-pre9/ide-akpm.patch

So, as I have noticed, it means nothing when I say "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc"?

> I get 11.5x speed with "cdparanoia -Z 1- /dev/null" when ripping
> 60 min audio CD with HP-8100 ATAPI device with this patch applied.

Unfortunately, I have reached a new point in my life where I have decided not
to patch and compile kernels anymore (new baby boy!) so, since I am not a real
speed demon, I think I'll steer clear of this for now.  Is there any chance
that this will get into a Debian 2.4 kernel-image anytime soon?  I hear Linus
is trying to get faster with his patch absorption.

Is there anything else that I might be doing wrong that you guys might know of?
Even the comments on that patch say that I will get only a 20% boost, and it
seems that I am need a 100% boost to hit the benchmarks noted on the websites I
am looking at (mostly www.cdspeed2000.com).  I am using ide-scsi on both my
cdrom and cdrw.  Also it could be that I am benchmarking wrong.  From what I
understand, 1x means 150Kb/s, so if I can extract a 64 min (562 MB?) cd in 4:46,
then I am moving at a 13x clip.  Is this calculation completely in the weeds?