[paranoia] dae speed on plextor cdrw

Sami Farin safari at iki.fi
Wed Feb 13 14:34:40 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:12:45PM -0800, Chad Carr wrote:
> I am probably missing something in my Linux configuration.
>
> I have purchased one of the fabulous Plextor 24/16/40 ATAPI drives and
> everything I can find says that it will come very close to being able to
> extract CDDA at 40x.  However, with paranoia on, I average about 6.2x (as
> reported by grip) and with paranoia off, I average about 13x.  Not only that,

Linux uses PIO when reading cdda audio (ATAPI)...
You might want to try this patch:
http://www.zip.com.au/%7Eakpm/linux/2.4/2.4.18-pre9/ide-akpm.patch

I get 11.5x speed with "cdparanoia -Z 1- /dev/null" when ripping
60 min audio CD with HP-8100 ATAPI device with this patch applied.

Let us know how fast Plextor goes with DMA!

--
Safari - safari at iki.fi - PGP key 0x427E7914 - http://iki.fi/safari/
  The UNIX Guru's View of Sex: "unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; \