[paranoia] dae speed on plextor cdrw

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Thu Feb 14 15:27:34 PST 2002

On Friday 15 February 2002 03:36, Chad Carr wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:34:40AM +0200, Sami Farin wrote:
> > Linux uses PIO when reading cdda audio (ATAPI)...
> > You might want to try this patch:
> > http://www.zip.com.au/%7Eakpm/linux/2.4/2.4.18-pre9/ide-akpm.patch
>
> So, as I have noticed, it means nothing when I say "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc"?

It works for normal data access but not for DAE, apparently. I've applied
the patch mentioned above to 2.4.16 without any problems, BTW.

> > I get 11.5x speed with "cdparanoia -Z 1- /dev/null" when ripping
> > 60 min audio CD with HP-8100 ATAPI device with this patch applied.
>
> Unfortunately, I have reached a new point in my life where I have decided
> not to patch and compile kernels anymore (new baby boy!) so, since I am not
> a real speed demon, I think I'll steer clear of this for now.

The only pair I bother with is low-latency and this patch. Low latency lets
me play music while thrashing the system in various ways, and the DAE/DMA
patch drops the cpu load when ripping cds so that playback to a USB audio
device doesn't suck.

That said, it's not necessarily the case that the patch will actually speed
up extraction for every drive and system out there, and cdparanoia does it's
magic by doing multiple reads, which will always slow down the proceedings.

John