[paranoia] dae speed on plextor cdrw

Chad Carr ccarr at franzdoodle.com
Wed Feb 13 14:12:45 PST 2002

I am probably missing something in my Linux configuration.

I have purchased one of the fabulous Plextor 24/16/40 ATAPI drives and
everything I can find says that it will come very close to being able to
extract CDDA at 40x.  However, with paranoia on, I average about 6.2x (as
reported by grip) and with paranoia off, I average about 13x.  Not only that,
but every other cdrom or cdr I set up under debian potato or woody (scsi or
atapi) has the same problem.  I read that the Toshiba 2401B can do DAE at 11x,
but I cannot get it past 5.5x without paranoia or 3x with.  I realize that
cdparanoia does special things to make sure that I get a perfect rip, but I was
under the impression that these special things are turned off when I turn them
off in grip or with the -Z switch.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it has
something to do with DMA, but I cannot be sure and I don't want to mess around
with that stuff without knowing for sure that is it.

If I can verify that I am getting the proper rip speed, I will go back to using
paranoia, but nobody seems to benchmark these things with paranoia, so to
compare apples with apples, I have it turned off.

resolve this.