[paranoia] cdparanoia can't read audio, but other apps can

Clinton daimaou at axisavant.com
Sun Apr 14 20:52:57 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 16:36, John Morton wrote:
> That means that cdparanoia checked to see if it was using the regular ide-cd
> interface and discovered it wasn't. You can safely ignore that message. If it
> said this straight afterwards:
>
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0
>
> Then you have a problem, but it may just be a permissions issue, so test as
> root first.
>
> John

I thought it might be a permissions issues (although I have it working
on my laptop machine correctly) so I have been trying to run it as root.

Here is most of the results of cdparanoia -svQ followed by a couple of
the error messages I'm getting:

Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
        /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM
Testing /devcdrom for SCSI interface
        generic device: /dev/sg0
        ioctl device: /dev/scd0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        GS interface version 3.1.22; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: TEAC CD-W524E 1.0B

Checking for SCSI emulation...
        Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
        DMA scatter/gather table entries: 256
        table entry size: 32768 bytes
        maximum theoretical transfer: 3566 sectors
Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Veriyfing CDDA command set...
        Expected command set reads OK.

And then it lists the contents of the CD in my drive.

This all looks correct to me, however, whenever I try to rip a CD, I get
the following:

(== PROGRESS == [         |...... 00 ] == :^D . == )
SCSI transport error: timeout waiting to read packet

csi_read error:	sector=2295 length=13 retry=0
                        Sense key: 0 ASC: 0 ASCQ: 0
                        Transport error: Error writing packet command to 			device
                        System error: Invalid argument
scsi_read error:	sector=2295 length=3 retry=2
                        Sense key: 6 ASC: 29 ASCQ: 0
                        Transport error: Unspecified error
                        System error: Input/output error

and so on.