[paranoia] cdparanoia can't read audio, but other apps can

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sun Apr 14 16:36:47 PDT 2002

On Monday 15 April 2002 08:54, Clinton wrote:
> Yes it does.  All of the SCSI things I expect are present, however, when
> I try to rip a CD, cdparanoia just gives me SCSI read errors and a file
> 44 bytes in size.
>
> The common solution to the problem I am having is to make sure the sg0
> device is set up correctly.  However, mine are set up correctly as far
> as I can tell.
>
> At least cdparanoia gives me this when I type cdparanoia -svQ:
>
> Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.  Looking at revision of the SG
> interface in use...
> 	SG interface version 3.1.22: OK.
>
> The only thing reported by cdparanoia that looks wrong to me is:
>
> Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
> 	/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>
> Can you explain what this means?

That means that cdparanoia checked to see if it was using the regular ide-cd
interface and discovered it wasn't. You can safely ignore that message. If it
said this straight afterwards:

        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

Then you have a problem, but it may just be a permissions issue, so test as
root first.

John