[paranoia] I think I've found something cdparanoia can't rip...

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 21 16:47:56 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:14:44AM -0800, Ras-Sol wrote:
> > John Morton wrote:
> >
> > Aha, hidden tracks allright :-) I have had a previous experience with
> > that. And I believe that neither CDparanoia nor Linux nor Windows nor
> > drivers nor whatever are the actual responsible for the extraction.
> >
> > The one and only responsible is the CDRom Drive. I have tried to extract
> > hidden tracks before track1 on various drives. Cdparanoia succeeds if
> > the drive "can" see the hidden track.
>
> I don't think that's entirely correct-
>
> In the case of the Autechre CD (music before "Track 1"), the "hidden track"
> is simply an odd placement of the "start of track 1" label.
> Any CD player should be able to play it, by going to track 1, then
> rewinding.
>
> I don't remember anything in the Red Book saying that the track1 marker has
> to be at the beginning of the user data, so I suspect any player that could
> not do this would be non-compliant with the published specs for CD-Audio.

Redbook does say that user data begins at track 1 index 1, that 1/1 is
at +00:02.00, and that pregaps are digital silence.  Thus this is
technically a violation, but a fairly common one (not very different
from having tracks run together as in a live piece).  The only odd
part is having 1/1 later than 00:02.00, but CDROM firmware can be a
brittle thing.

Monty