[paranoia] quirky behavior using multiple scsi cdroms

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jan 16 13:39:35 PST 2001

> Here's the problem: Say I start cdparanoia ripping a cd from a cd in the
> 12/20 (scsi id 2). If I then try start cdparanoia and rip from the 40x
> on scsi id 3, cdparanoia starts up, but waits until the 12/20 stops
> (between tracks, for example) before it will actually begin ripping.

[...]

This is due to file (well, actually device) locking in the device
autoscanner.  If you provide the desired /dev/sg* device directly
(instead of letting cdparanoia map automatically from /dev/scd* or
/dev/sr*), there will be no waiting.

It's a actually feature, not a bug, but a feature that's no longer
needed.  It was a bug workaround in 2.0 and early 2.2 kernels (that
prevented the kernel from locking up), and when Vorbis development
demands let up enough to let me dive back into Paranoia, this annoying
little 'feature' will be eliminated.

Monty