[paranoia] quirky behavior using multiple scsi cdroms

Kevin Rennert kevin at rennert.net
Mon Jan 15 17:10:29 PST 2001

Hi,

I don't know if this is a cdparanoia question, or really just a scsi
question. I'm trying to use cdparanoia to simultaneously rip 3 cds at
once using three scsi plextor cdroms (a 12/20 and 2 ultraplex 40s) on an
adaptec 2940UW scsi-card.  The scsi ID's are 2,3, and 4 for the 12/20,
40x, and 40x respectively.  I'm running linux kernel 2.2.17 on a 440bx
board.

Here's the problem: Say I start cdparanoia ripping a cd from a cd in the
12/20 (scsi id 2). If I then try start cdparanoia and rip from the 40x
on scsi id 3, cdparanoia starts up, but waits until the 12/20 stops
(between tracks, for example) before it will actually begin ripping. In
other words,  it can't start while the cdrom of lower scsi id is already
going, it has to wait until it pauses to be able to start up. The reason
I think this is related to scsi id and not to the drives in particular
is because I witness the same behavior with the 40x's -- the one on ID 4
won't begin ripping if the one on ID 3 is already doing so.

If I do things in the 'right' order -- starting the drives ripping from
highest to lowest ID, then the three will happily rip simultaneously.
The caveat to this, of course, is that when the drive on ID 4 finishes a
track, unless the ones on ID 3 AND 2 happen to be idle between tracks,
 then it has to wait until they are before it can continue.  The result
is that the ripping speed for the entire system is more or less
restricted to what the drive on ID 2 is doing.

Is this behavior expected and/or seen by anyone else? Is there anything
that can be done about it?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin