[paranoia] cdparanoia can't make a smooth recording

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri May 12 13:41:14 PDT 2000

> > how it affected the processing. Now, "-z -o 15" appears to give good
> > results--at least where "good results" means "there's no way you can get an
>
> I take that back. I had started a "-z -o20" run, because it seemed to make
> progress yesterday but the -o15 ran at least 16 hours without getting
> anything, and I was wondering if it might actually be able to record at
> -o20, several hours later and it almost has a whole track, but it is that
> same not pieced together bad recording, like I was originally getting (the
> progress bar is all "+" except for about 6 "!"). Also, Im not sure any of
> the other attempts recorded as quickly as this last one. Must have just been
> a fluke. Odd that cdp pieced the sound together badly again, though.

Well, I was thinking of -o 32 to start; that gives you a full second of search
overlap and I have witnessed drives that need it all (mostly Dell Inspirons).

That the trouble gets through just means that the drive is consistently making
the same error.  The drive is obviously not providing reliable sync
information, so cdparanoia has to do things the hard way: read the same vector
a zillion times and piece things back together from reads that agree.  If many
reads agree-- but are incorrect-- cdparanoia can't do anything about it.

To some extent, cdparanoia *does* know that this is happening; when it gets
more than one batch of reads that agree (but the batches disagree with each
other), that's what a '!' means.

Monty