[paranoia] cdparanoia can't make a smooth recording

Robert Braddock stormwarden at bigfoot.com
Thu May 11 20:06:13 PDT 2000

> -z will make it try harder.  But it's already trying pretty hard; a 'V' in the

Ah, right. I remember trying -z somewhere along the way. I can't find
anything about it in the documentation I have, though...

> You do have one option to try:  -o

I tried that a few ties, but I didn't know what kind of values to use, or
how it affected the processing. Now, "-z -o 15" appears to give good
results--at least where "good results" means "there's no way you can get an
acceptable recording from this". I was mostly concerned because cdparanoia
did record, but the sound was obviously not pieced together correctly. Maybe
cdparanoia could use a test mode to help users diagnose their drive...

> As a last observation, torisan is not a recommended drive for this sort of
> thing.  They're solidly in the 'cheapest possible' category.

Oh yeah? It's 5 years old too, no wonder. Guess I don't have any real choice
about replacing it. Still, I'm kind of suprised it does CDDA when our newer
(3 years old :) cd drive doesn't. I guess both are probably cheap.

BTW: Good work with cdparanoia. It is appreciated. I'm looking forward to
seeing that new audio format soon. At least that's one advantage to not
getting my CDs converted yet. :)

Thanks,
Robert