[paranoia] cdparanoia can't make a smooth recording

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed May 10 16:51:49 PDT 2000

> [ system: linux (debian/woody)    cdparanoia: 9.7    cdcd: 0.5.0
> [  cdrom: "Vendor: TORiSAN   Model:CD-ROM CDR-C3G   Rev:2.13"
> [         (3cd changer, 4x)
>

> cdparanoia doesn't seem to be able to read correctly from my CDROM. It does
> read, but it takes a long time, the progress bar is all V, and the
> smiley-status is almost continuously at :-P. The .wav file has a very
> frequent static-like sound, as if the sound data is being continuously
> sliced apart. I tried playing the wav on another computer to make sure it
> wasn't something wrong with my sound setup. I'm confused as to why
> cdparanoia doesn't piece the sound data together correctly--is there an
> option to make it try harder?

-z will make it try harder.  But it's already trying pretty hard; a 'V' in the
progress meter indicates that valid data did not come back twice in 20
attempts.

You do have one option to try:  -o

This is for drives with strongly bimodal jitter distribution that confuses
cdparanoia's automatic sense features.  Try -o with values from 1 to 32 (higher
is slower, but also tries harder) and let us know if this improves anything.
I'm curious myself.

As a last observation, torisan is not a recommended drive for this sort of
thing.  They're solidly in the 'cheapest possible' category.

Monty