[Fwd: [paranoia] Track Boundary problem]

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Mar 9 02:17:05 PST 2000

> More info...
> The problem occurs in the last few seconds of the track. Could this be
> something to do with the non-audio sectors between track (or something
> like that) that I remember reading about. The problem has shown up at
> precisely 175 sectors before the end of the track.

Ahhhh.  'bingo'.

First off, is this a home-burned disc (and if so, was it burned in TAO mode?)

Even if it wasn't, a number of drives are popping up now that refuse to read
track pregaps (which are marked as silence) as audio.  A number of Sony drives
also have this feature.

It looks like I'll have to find one of these beasts to experiment with toward
constructing a fix or workaround.

> This seems to be more
> than 2 secs (75 sectors per sec?).

The buffering and overlapping paranoia performs may be misleading here.

>I've been able to get around the
> problem for now, by using the span option. I'm looking at this further,
> but it really is only a workaround. I'd really like to know what is
> actually going on. Oh, another thing, I looked at the stderr after
> turning on the -e option and it tries to verify a single sector many
> times towards the end. There are at least two sets of verify statements
> for each sector with >10 lines in each set. If the actual output of the
> stderr will help, I can post that as well. I did not build the code
> myself, but will look at that next.

I'm sure your build is OK; I expect the drive is just doing something mildly
annoying.  Could I see some of that output you mentioned, along with a sample
progress bar?

Thanks,

Monty