[paranoia] Paranoia Problems

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Mar 9 02:18:59 PST 2000

> I am using cdparanoia v9.6 on a Linux Mandrake 7.0-2 distribution with
> kernel version 2.2.14-9mdk.  First I was concerned that reading the
> files in was taking a long time.  I would estimate that reading speed
> was approximately 1.5 times the normal playing speed.  So I used the -S
> option to try to speed things up.  Now, from time to time cdparanoia
> gets stuck near the beginning of a track.  The animations look OK, but
> the progress meter sticks to the left of the chart and nothing gets
> written to file.

9.6 could get stuck in silence (even when getting good reads). 9.7 fixed that
verification bug.

If the cause is the bad reads on boundary issue I've been seeing with a few
newer drives, that won;t fix the problem.  I'm looking for a workaround for
this drive problem, but no progress to report yet.

Monty