[paranoia] Lots of '-' on first track

Fredrik Mellström traal at myrmicat.hemmet.chalmers.se
Thu Mar 16 03:24:17 PST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Monty wrote:

> >     Fixed Bugs:
> >
> > 	  Correction for reading of ISRC codes
> > 	  Correction for SAO, writing the Lead-Out
> > 	  Write error after Quick Erase
> >
> >     Improvements:
> >
> > 	  Extraction quality for Read CD-DA (DAE)
> >
> > The complete document can be found at
> > http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/firmware.htm
>
> I'll add as a note that Plextor Ultraplex 40MAX drives with
> firmware 1.10 have been causing all sorts of trouble here at
> work; the tolerance of poor discs has taken a *big* hit.... and
> this version can't be downgraded :-(

I wonder what they've done...  I still haven't tried to downgrade,
and my PlexWriter 8/2/20 with the latest firmware (1.3) still
behaves like I said -- Paranoia reports almost no problems or
errors whatsoever, but rips very slowly.  I used to get between
2.5x and 4x, now I get between 1x and 2x.  Plextor's own utilities
for windows 95, which don't do as nearly as much corrections and
checking as Paranoia, usually give me around 10x -- and they
weren't affected by the firmware upgrade either.

Just a very uneducated guess about what they might have changed;
perhaps the drive does some read-ahead buffering on its own,
without being told by Paranoia?  It's not like I've done any
debugging, this is just something that occurred to me after
watching the changed behavior for a while.  Paranoia's status bar
gets updated a bit erratically and more seldom, in a kind of
sluggish way.  The activity light on my CD drive doesn't blink as
fast as it used to.  Perhaps something like this would happen if
the drive is continually trying to move ahead faster, and Paranoia
keeps telling it to abort and move back again?  They certainly
seem to disagree on *something*...  :-)

//traal

--
All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.