[paranoia] Lots of '-' on first track

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Feb 4 15:27:54 PST 2000

> > It is not a bug. It simply means that 'cdaranoia' has to do some
> > jitter correction. AFAIK there is almost no CDROM for that
> > 'cdparanoia' doesn't have to do some jitter correction. How much
> > of this appears depends on your cdrom, e.g. of its ability to
> > extract audio data without jittering.
>
> No no, that's not what I mean at all.  Sorry if I was unclear ;-).
> I know perfectly well what '-' means, and I've been using
> cdparanoia and computers in general for quite some time -- perhaps
> I should have mentioned that I'm not a newbie :-).

9.7 should not be reporting spurious jitter, but it's a possibility. I'll have
a look.  Is the track solid '-', or just partially?  Edges?  How about a sample
progress bar :-)

> idea what caused this.)  And if you often get jitter on the entire
> first track, and *only* on the first track, you would perhaps
> suspect, say, a bug which affects some offset only on the first
> track.

The jitter reporting is exactly 'I read the same area of the disc twice,
immediately compared them, and there was an offset'.  There should be no other
cases, but again, I'll check.  The verification engine is going to get some
upgrading in the not too distant future.

Monty